Friday, November 23, 2007

Historic Archaeology Photos, Part 4

To end our series of photographs from the 1960s excavations at Port Tobacco, I leave you with a photograph that I have no interpretation for. Two young boys are working with piles of bricks at the site of the reconstructed courthouse (the well is visible in the top left). The boy in the foreground appears to have a hatchet and is using it on a brick. I would welcome any interpretations (serious or not). As always, click on the photo for a larger image.



-April

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LEGOS, I asked Santa for LEGOS.....and this is what I get!?

OR.

I took a radio apart and put it back together, this should be easier!

Jim said...

Actually learned colleagues, there is a fine old tradition, particularly in the Southern States, and particularly during the Great Depression, of paying ne'er-do-wells to clean mortar off of cannibalized bricks. Our young friends (actually, they are probably my age now) are cleaning bricks. They should have been using mason's hammers, not axes.

April M. Beisaw said...

Jim, is that you with the hatchet? Come on. We can take a hint!