Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Courthouse Records Sent Home

Don from the Crossed Sabers blog posted a letter written by a Union Calvary officer, Charles Bates, stationed in Port Tobacco, to his parents in New Haven, Connecticut. It was February 1863, and the soldiers had taken up residence in the courthouse. An excerpt from the letter is below

"I spent the forenoon in exploring the garret of the courthouse, and truly it was “a pursuit of knowledge under difficulties,” for my head would afford a fine study for a phrenologist to feel the “bumps,” but I have my reward in about nine cartloads of old records and papers, a sample of which I will send you. Ask Johnson to read the writing on the old plan of the courthouse I enclosed."

So, it looks like some of the more interesting records of Port Tobacco left Maryland about 150 years ago. Since Charles' letter to his parents made its way into the historical record instead of being discarded, we hope that the courthouse documents did the same and that it is just a matter of time before they are found. I sent an email to the New Haven Historical Society, asking if they can be of any assistance. I'll let you know when I hear back from them.

-April
P.S. Scott will be back next week!

No comments: